#foswiki 2012-01-09,Mon

↑back Search ←Prev date Next date→ Show only urls(Click on time to select a line by its url)

WhoWhatWhen
gac410Hm. In HtPasswdUser - could a Class attribute be used to store the password hash, so that it persists across user sessions? Or am I not understanding Class vs. Instance variables. [02:22]
Babarto persist across sessions, I think it would need to be "global", so class, and to be used / referenced in the constructor [02:25]
gac410gac410 is reading http://perl.active-venture.com/pod/perltooc.html too many choices :-) [02:26]
pharveygac410: we have some singleton classes which are only instantiated once by way of instantiating lazily on demand, or (I think?) when the module is compiled (BEGIN)
example I'm thinking of is Foswiki::Serialiser(::Embedded, etc)
[02:27]
FoswikiBothttp://trunk.foswiki.org/System/PerlDoc?module=Foswiki::Serialiser [ (Foswiki login) PerlDoc ] [02:28]
gac410okay - I'll look at that too. I know I could use a global in Foswiki.pm - but that is very wrong on many counts I suspect. [02:29]
pharveyI'd rather see a package global than another Foswiki one [02:29]
Babaryeah, a package global, with some our %passwordHash; :) [02:29]
pharveyThe benefit of using a singleton's->new() is that we also (usually!) have a ->finish(), and that's important for unit tests in some circumstances (I've had some tough debug sessions where the singleton's state persists across tests) [02:30]
gac410I'll poke at it all a bit. When I read documentation and then have to go to a dictionary ie eponymous ... I know I'm in trouble. [02:30]
pharveynot that our unit tests are calling ->finish_singletons(), but I want to do that one day [02:31]
Babargac410: it's just like eponymic :)
you know what an eponym is, right?
[02:33]
gac410I guess so after reading dictionary. Derived from someone's name. So variables derived from HtPasswdUser are eponyms. [02:35]
................................. (idle for 2h42mn)
GithubBot[foswiki] foswiki pushed 1 new commit to master: http://git.io/1vWG9w
[foswiki/master] Item11416: Fix perl 5.12+ warnings, API doc didn't match code - PaulHarvey
[05:17]
***GithubBot has left [05:17]
FoswikiBothttp://foswiki.org/Tasks/Item11416 [ Item11416: =Use of uninitialized value in lc= with perl 5.12 ] [05:18]
dj_segfaultHi. I'm trying to create a new web, and it doesn't look like I added myself to AdminGroup. But it also won't let me log in as AdminUser with the password I thought I used. When I try to recover AdminUser's password I get "cannot change user passwords using Foswiki::BaseUserMapping at /var/www/vhosts/wiki.thekramers.net/htdocs/lib/Foswiki/Users/BaseUserMapping.pm line 469." Since that's the line that throws the erro [05:32]
FoswikiBothttp://trunk.foswiki.org/System/PerlDoc?module=Foswiki::BaseUserMapping [ (Foswiki login) PerlDoc ] [05:33]
gac410You have to log in as "admin" not AdminUser. And the password is reset by deleting the password from LocalSite.cfg and saving your configuratino. [05:35]
dj_segfaultgac410: Ah, thanks. The password I expected to work, worked with "admin" I tried AdminUser because I could see that AdminUser was a member of AdminGroup. [05:38]
gac410AdminUser is a special ID - it is the WikiName associated with the "admin" login id. [05:38]
***gac410 has left [05:43]
.............. (idle for 1h7mn)
verne.freenode.net sets mode: +o Babar [06:50]
.............. (idle for 1h7mn)
Shirakawasuna has left "Leaving" [07:57]
Babarpharvey: you sure you should default to 0 when you're comparing strings? [08:05]
pharveycomparing numbers [08:05]
Babarbut one is using <=>, the other one is using cmp, but both default to 0. That looked odd to me [08:06]
...... (idle for 28mn)
pharveyBabar, yikes, you're right - yet there's no way to know if the secondary key is numeric or not... [08:34]
GithubBot[foswiki] foswiki pushed 1 new commit to master: http://git.io/De-wig
[foswiki/master] Item11416: cmp isn't numeric, thanks Babar - PaulHarvey
[08:45]
***GithubBot has left [08:45]
FoswikiBothttp://foswiki.org/Tasks/Item11416 [ Item11416: =Use of uninitialized value in lc= with perl 5.12 ] [08:45]
Babarnp Paul :) [08:46]
....... (idle for 31mn)
foswiki_irc5Is there a way to delete groups? [09:17]
Babarremove their topic? :) [09:18]
foswiki_irc5when i do so what happens with all the links? [09:24]
..... (idle for 22mn)
pharveyfoswiki_irc5: the "more topic actions" -> "delete" brings up a backlink search showing all places that the group is mentioned. You can choose to update those links to point to the trash location (invalidating the group) or if you'd rather ensure nobody can create that group again with arbitrary membership, make it an empty group that's only ALLOWTOPICCHANGE = AdminUser [09:46]
***ChanServ sets mode: +o MichaelDaum [09:48]
...... (idle for 28mn)
pharveyhi MichaelDaum, want me to commit this one-liner change to SolrPlugin? Item11402 [10:16]
FoswikiBothttp://foswiki.org/Tasks/Item11402 [ Item11402: Problem saving topic when SolrPlugin is enabled ] [10:16]
MichaelDaumpharvey, outch, yay. yes. please. [10:17]
GithubBot[foswiki] foswiki pushed 1 new commit to master: http://git.io/C2Qe1g
[foswiki/master] Item11402: Config.spec STRING should be PERL - PaulHarvey
[10:30]
***GithubBot has left [10:30]
MichaelDaumCDot, any thoughts on http://foswiki.org/Tasks/Item11406? [10:32]
CDotMichaelDaum: yeah, my thought was "why didn't micha just check this in"? :-) [10:34]
MichaelDaumgood thought
basically I just want to talk to people before steamroller
[10:34]
.... (idle for 15mn)
foswiki_irc5MichaelDaum: Can i ask you once more a question to SolrPlugin? [10:50]
MichaelDaumhi foswiki_irc5. yes, if you dare changing your nick to something more personal ;) [10:51]
FlorianPribahsniI logged on before i signed in ;) [10:52]
MichaelDaumhow could you ;)
so how can I help you wrt solr
[10:52]
FlorianPribahsniMichaelDaum: I asked question on the support site: http://foswiki.org/Support/Question997. Can you read it. I will write the answer in the Support Web then
When you answered it. (Sorry for my english)
[10:54]
MichaelDaumgrüezi [10:54]
FlorianPribahsniMichaelDaum: hallo
MichaelDaum: And one additional question: Is the WeblinkPlugin needed for solr? (If yes i think it is missing in the depencies
[10:55]
MichaelDaumwhich version of solr do you use?
WeblinkPlugin...yes
[10:56]
FlorianPribahsniThe Version from trunk [10:57]
MichaelDaumand how did you set up solr, the java server?
do you use apache-solr-3.5++?
via jetty or tomcat?
[10:57]
FlorianPribahsniI think jetty, but i will check it [10:58]
GithubBot[foswiki] foswiki pushed 1 new commit to master: http://git.io/NPGhng
[foswiki/master] Item10247: update of ongoing work; adding webfonts - ArthurClemens
[11:00]
***GithubBot has left [11:00]
FoswikiBothttp://foswiki.org/Tasks/Item10247 [ Item10247: Implementing Base Skin ] [11:00]
MichaelDaumnow here's the first thing to try out
go to <foswiki-dir>/bin
and type ./rest /SolrPlugin/searc q="*:*" rows=1
^searc^search
it looks as if not all facets have been indexed ... very strange.
so the ./rest call should display at least some thing like ...web:
the only reason that I could possibly imagine is that you are using SolrPlugin/trunk ... but an old apache-solr-1.3 or so.
the schema.xml for the indexer is specifically tailored towards later apache-solrs
not sure what happens using a schema.xml tagged for newer solrs on an old one. *maybe* it will simply drop out those properties not compatible with the search engine underneath. and thats why you dont see them in the sidebar....
just an idea
[11:00]
FlorianPribahsniOne more i think i have to tell you: When i use %SOLRFORMAT{....}% with a solrsearch everthing is fine
I mean i can check out which types and how many and so on
[11:05]
MichaelDaumFlorianPribahsni, which skin are you using? [11:09]
FlorianPribahsniMichaelDaum:pattern and our own
MichaelDaum: Set SKIN = ffg3,pattern
[11:10]
MichaelDaumtry switching to normal pattern for a try. i.e. with the sidebar on the left.
something like http://mydomain.com/System/SolrSearch?skin=pattern
[11:11]
FlorianPribahsniMichaelDaum: I commented our skin out and now the facets are "under" the search hits, but there are still some missing [11:18]
MichaelDaumcould you make another screenshot and attach it to the Question topic, please? [11:18]
CDotMichaelDaum: no worries; we had talked on IRC, if you recall. You know my attitude - "so long as it doesn't break anything" :-) [11:20]
MichaelDaumCDot, if I knew in advance what breaks botching code I wont be a programmer but call myself houdini. [11:21]
CDotHoudini? He was a fraud and a charlatan. Compare yourself instead with Einstein or Maxwell. [11:22]
FlorianPribahsniMichaelDaum: Done, named Solr-01 and Solr02 [11:22]
MichaelDaumwell that looks strange ... [11:23]
FlorianPribahsniyes :) [11:24]
MichaelDaumI frankly have no clue how to "achieve" this :|
the only approach for you to debug this is to reduce complexity, getting things back to default, and then see which skin change made it freak out.
did you install and enable WeblinkPlugin already?
[11:25]
FlorianPribahsniok an then if it is default again, look if the facets show up?
yes
[11:26]
MichaelDaumany fastcgi or mod_perl part of the equation? [11:27]
FlorianPribahsnisry i don't understand [11:27]
MichaelDaumdo you use fastcgi or mod_perl to speed up your perl web application? [11:27]
FlorianPribahsniI don't know
i haven't installed the server
[11:28]
MichaelDaumokay then check with the other guy to find out
and restart your web server after installing WeblinkPlugin
CDot, Houdini being a charlatan ... thats a pretty good comparison actually.
[11:28]
FlorianPribahsniMichaelDaum: Thx for your help so far. i will do so and the report :) [11:29]
MichaelDaumFlorianPribahsni, good luck [11:29]
CDotMichaelDaum: :-) [11:30]
MichaelLorenzenI think, COMMENTPLUGIN is broken in 1.1.4: default text does not work, see http://foswiki.org/Sandbox/TestTopic133256 [11:42]
CDotMichaelLorenzen: agreed, that doesn't look right. please explore arund the problem and raise a task when you have a clear picture of what is going wrong. [11:45]
MichaelLorenzenCDot: At first I thougt it had something to do with my utf characters in the text or a workflow problem I'm fighting with since the update, but I think it's just not working any more - so I raise a task right away [11:48]
....... (idle for 30mn)
pharveyMichaelDaum: another problem with SolrPlugin Config.spec is that the configure UI doesn't understand things like $Foswiki::cfg{Foo} = $Foswiki::cfg{Bar} . '/baz/cat'; - {PubUrlPath} handles this with '$Foswiki::cfg{Bar}/baz/cat', but I'm not sure if that's specific to the PATH type [12:18]
MichaelDaumoha [12:18]
pharveylet me do some testing (writing a configure checker) [12:20]
MichaelDaumI thought I've seen a '$Foswiki:cfg{ToolsDir}."somemore" ' in some Config.spec [12:25]
FoswikiBothttp://foswiki.org/cfg{ToolsDir}."somemore" [ WebHome ] [12:25]
pharveyyeah, me too.
But it seems in SolrPlugin, any settings declared after such a beast, their default values are not populated in the UI
[12:25]
MichaelDaumArthur is using templates in System topics...well...profiling the RcsWrapper and RcsLite code it seems reading topics isn't that cheap. now, doing lots of template stuff in topic land might come with a surprise wrt performance. [12:27]
Babarthis should work. But anyway this will work only after saving from configure. But it ought to work, otherwise it's a bug :) [12:28]
MichaelDaumwhat do you guys think about making RcsLite the default? [12:28]
BabarBabar never understood why it wasn't [12:29]
pharveyRcsLite is much slower on large ,v files (WebStats) [12:29]
Babarbenchmarks seemed to prove RcsWrap might help for big history topics, but it's only stable on CGI, so... [12:29]
pharveyI never actually had a problem with RcsWrap on mod_fcgid... [12:29]
BabarBabar had issues with it both on windows and on mod_perl, but it was a long time ago [12:30]
MichaelDaumI've been a Devel::NYTProf junkie the last week and found out RcsLite being *a.l.o.t* faster 2gether with fastcgi [12:30]
pharveysure, and I use RcsLite when creating thousands of new topics - it's many times faster than wrap [12:31]
MichaelDaumor said the other way around: RcsWrap is a resource hog on fastcgi [12:31]
pharveythe fork is expensive [12:31]
MichaelDaumvery, actually.
and there are lots of them happening due to getRevision()
[12:31]
pharveyhrm, I wonder if it's possible to use RcsWrap selectively (many-MB ,v files?) [12:32]
MichaelDaumis it possible to remove old revs from ,v? [12:32]
pharveyI thought it was, but I've never actually had to do it myself [12:32]
MichaelDaumlike: just keep the recent 20 revs or so [12:32]
pharveymight be simple actually, to create a RcsLiteWrap handler [12:33]
MichaelDaummany-meg ,v files sort of doesnt compute anyway [12:33]
pharveyattachments easily grow that large, in which case wrap is the right choice [12:33]
MichaelDaummaybe [12:33]
pharveylite loads the whole ,v file into ram [12:34]
MichaelDaumthough attachment revs a read rarely
while topic revs are read ... like a lot ... which might worth optimizing in itself no matter which backend is in use
[12:34]
pharveyI'm just saying, at first glance, an RcsHybrid handler might be a really easy, nice compromise [12:35]
Babaryeah, it would be easy to write an RcsLite feature which would truncate history to N revisions would the file become more than X Mb big [12:35]
pharveyI've definitely had to answer support requests on large attachment histories stemming from poor lite performance [12:35]
MichaelDaumthis is related to the TOPICOINFO vs ,v file bugs'n discussions we had [12:35]
pharveythough not so much, as histories are kept in mongo now [12:36]
MichaelDaumthere might be room to optimize reading the revision info of the *top* revision...which def doesnt need to snarf in evry thing [12:36]
pharveycached* [12:36]
MichaelDaumpharvey, mongodb is a niche option. [12:37]
pharveySvenDowideit needs to chime in with "and store2 will give us magical cross-request topicObject caching thanks to read-only topicObjects" :-) [12:37]
MichaelDaum:]
but he is right
the top resource hog now is RcsLite's readTo()
[12:38]
pharveyMichaelDaum: if you want to code a Foswiki 1.2 solution, I added a getRevisionInfo listener which tries to use Mongo's cache first, falls-back to underlying store (RCS)
er, which Mongo uses ... to try to use its cache, otherwise falls-back to underling store
in fact, I guess you could run MongoDBPlugin just for that feature, no reason why you can't keep using the PurePerl/BruteForce search/query algos
[12:42]
MichaelDaumno
dbs are fast because they cache in memory
[12:45]
pharveyI'm just saying, it would avoid any RCS overheads [12:46]
MichaelDaumso why not use shared memory among foswiki threads [12:46]
pharveyneed read-only topicObjects [12:47]
MichaelDaumwhy? [12:47]
pharveyactually, I can't recall [12:48]
MichaelDaumI know read-only is most common
but there are bunch of nice ipc wrappers at cpan that do transparent locking
[12:48]
pharveyperhaps more important is that sven has been doing a lot of work untangling the unloaded meta situation
building a topicObj up from scratch vs loading it from store
[12:49]
MichaelDaumit was ipc::sharelite I was taking a closer look the other day ... looks straight ahead. [12:49]
MichaelLorenzenI've got a weird issue with the new foswiki 1.14 and WorkFlowPlugin 1.12.2: After changing the state of a topic (so a wf history is present) I can't change the topic content any more
I get a new date stamp in the txt file, but no content is saved
[12:50]
pharveyMichaelLorenzen: do you get any clues in the apache error log? in Foswiki's working/logs/event.log ? [12:52]
MichaelLorenzenpharvey: no, apache's error log shows nothing from my workstation, foswiki's events log just shows a quite normal edit, save, view session without any errors [13:00]
pharveysorry, I meant working/logs/error.log [13:01]
MichaelLorenzenpharvey: nothing in error.log (last entry from december, error happens today) [13:04]
pharveydoes System/InstalledPlugins show any problems? [13:04]
MichaelLorenzenWorkflowPlugin uses deprecated beforeAttachmentSaveHandler, that's all, WorkFlowPlugin has no errors [13:06]
pharveyok
you were using 1.1.3 previously?
[13:11]
MichaelLorenzenyes [13:11]
ArthurClemensthis looks like a useful tool. it generates css sprite image+css: https://github.com/jorgebastida/glue [13:11]
pharveyArthurClemens, ooh nice [13:12]
MichaelLorenzenthe error occurs on old topics under workflow control, but also on an new test topic under workflow contrl [13:12]
pharveyMichaelLorenzen, did you update WorkflowPlugin to the latest version? [13:14]
MichaelLorenzenyes, I updated after updating foswiki [13:16]
pharveydid you try this upgrade as a remedy? I am just wondering if it's the new WorkflowPlugin that's broken, or if 1.1.4 is causing the problem
reading the code, it seems there might be a WORKFLOWDEBUG preference which you could try setting = 1
and that might emit some debug messages
but if I were you I'd try to run the unit tests
or convince someone here to run them for you (it's after midnight here, I should be asleep, and don't have a 1.1.4 checkout handy :-)
[13:17]
MichaelLorenzenI can't tell if the error was introduced by foswiki core or by the plugin, I did no testing in between updating both
how do I run the unit tests myself?
[13:20]
pharveyperhaps, try using the old version of WorkflowPlugin, and then create a task http://foswiki.org/Tasks/WorkflowPlugin
install UnitTestContrib
er, actually that won't work
hrm, I guess you need a developer checkout :(
well, not really
[13:20]
MichaelLorenzenI think I will go back to the last WorkFlowPlugin revision and try again, so I can write a nice task report [13:21]
pharveyyou need the UnitTestContrib, but you need the test/unit/WorkflowPlugin/* files from http://svn.foswiki.org/trunk/WorkflowPlugin/test/
yeah, that might be better
but if you want us to help set you up with a developer checkout, we can do that too :-)
[13:21]
BabarArthurClemens: a friend of mine wrote some perl code to do that for booking.com. This should be available somewhere, or I can ask him (speaking about CSS + sprite) [13:22]
pharveywe broached this ages ago, but somebody said that CSS sprites make IE6 leak memory, or something like that...
... but IE6 is dead now, right? :)
[13:23]
MichaelLorenzenpharvey: I'm not which you would call a perl crack, but maybe I try out [13:23]
ArthurClemensBabar: but because it is a developer tool it might as well be python
I assume we all have python on our machines
[13:25]
BabarArthurClemens: why have it in python when we can have it in perl? [13:25]
pharveycool! :) my favourite way is git clone git://github.com/foswiki/_allDeveloper && cd core && ./pseudo-install.pl WorkflowPlugin
MichaelLorenzen: ^
[13:27]
BabarMichaelLorenzen: which OS are you running?
(where you want to "dev" foswiki)
[13:27]
MichaelLorenzenBarbar: on work it's debian 5, at home it would be a decent ubuntu [13:28]
pharvey(actually, my *real* favourite way is git clone git://github.com/foswiki/core && cd core && ./pseudo-install.pl developer && ./pseudo-install.pl WorkflowPlugin, but only because I haven't made pseudo-install smart enough to automatically maintain git supermodules) [13:28]
ArthurClemensBabar: sure. Perl is nice. [13:28]
BabarMichaelLorenzen: ok. Linux then, that's fine. Otherwise I would have advised for a VM, so à la https://github.com/Babar/foswiki-vagrant :) [13:29]
pharveyArthurClemens: updated TopicDataHelper, minor perl 5.12 things, and some pod didn't match the code
MichaelDaum: mind if I commit some configure checkers to SolrPlugin? the checkers work, but I probably haven't done enough testing yet
[13:30]
VerboEsepharvey, maybe you should do that (wrt pseudo-install.pl). I too use git and pseudo-install for our wiki and letting pseudo-install do the git-thing for me would be great. [13:35]
pharveyVerboEse, cool, my reluctance has been because I'm not sure if people care about pseudo-install mangling their supermodule for them, you think it'd be acceptable to just blindly add (and remove when given -u) ?
also, do you have any opinion on the automatically generated .gitignore files, because I'm wondering if the auto-generated .gitignore file should list the .gitignore file as a file to ignore :-)
maybe Babar has opinions here too :)
[13:36]
VerboEsewell, that's what I do when updating my wiki: 1. git fetch; 2. pseudo-install -u for all installed plugins; 3. git rebase; 4. pseudo-install for all previously installed plugins [13:38]
BabarBabar hates the auto-generated .gitignore files because they're not removed upon uninstall
so my tree is clutterred with .gitignore
VerboEse: but which repo are you using ad the master remote?
[13:39]
pharveyBabar, I wish people would tell me when I introduce annoying features :P
I can make them disappear on -u
[13:41]
Babarpharvey: I think I told you. [13:41]
pharveyoh. Then I need to get myself some elephant memory. Or a task :P [13:41]
Babarbut... as I pointed out, you can't simply trash the .gitignore on -u, as people might have .gitignores already [13:42]
pharveythere might be a solution.. verging on the "too clever" end of the spectrum, but still deserves a task. [13:42]
VerboEsepharvey, I rebase against trunk [13:42]
BabarVerboEse: I was the one asking, and that's not what I was asking :) [13:42]
VerboEseah Babar, sorry [13:43]
BabarBabar was interested in the repo, not the branch
meaning... https://github.com/foswiki/core vs https://github.com/foswiki/foswiki
mostly
[13:43]
VerboEseah sorry, I misunderstood.
my remote is foswiki, not core
[13:44]
BabarArthurClemens: and I've asked him, and his code is only internal for booking,and very task-specific. So I think you're right, glue is our best bet [13:45]
pharveyMichaelDaum: pushed to github, updated Item11402, g'night [13:45]
FoswikiBothttp://foswiki.org/Tasks/Item11402 [ Item11402: Problem saving topic when SolrPlugin is enabled ] [13:45]
Babarfor language, we need to add Romanian :) [13:47]
FlorianPribahsniMichaelDaum: I installed a fresh Foswiki 1.1.4 and now i will install solr and see if the facets show up there. Then i will a the skin and all the other things step by step und see were the error is. [13:59]
MichaelDaumcool [13:59]
FlorianPribahsniMichaelDaum: i used jetty 6.1.3
SEVERE: Exception during facet counts:org.apache.solr.common.SolrException: undefined field collection and this was an error showing up in the configuration
maybe it was as you thought that the jetty engine was too old
I will report if i find out where the error was.
[13:59]
MichaelDaumsolr isnt using the latest schema.xml
that's where "collection" is defined
btw I just checked in some more fixes
[14:05]
FlorianPribahsniso Revision 13570 is brand new? ;-) [14:07]
MichaelDaumya [14:09]
FlorianPribahsniMichaelDaum: I got solr from trunk, should i install jetty from package manager? [14:09]
MichaelDaumthats best [14:09]
FlorianPribahsniOk [14:10]
MichaelDaumnext, download the latest apache-solr...gar.gz and extract apache-solr-3.xxx/dist/apache-solr-3.xxx.war
move it to the webapps directory of your jetty
[14:11]
Babarhey, when was http://foswiki.org/Development/Enhancei18nArchitecture hacked to fit Andre's view?
that's not AT ALL what I documented
(and funnily enough, Micha, you implemented my view :))
[14:14]
MichaelDaumdid I .. oh
I was just wondering about pootle requiring one language per directory
[14:15]
GithubBot[foswiki] foswiki pushed 1 new commit to master: http://git.io/2-GjsQ
[foswiki/master] Item10657:Item11402: - MichaelDaum
[14:16]
***GithubBot has left [14:16]
FoswikiBothttp://foswiki.org/Tasks/Item10657 [ Item10657: provide a solr multicore setup by default ] http://foswiki.org/Tasks/Item11402 [ Item11402: Problem saving topic when SolrPlugin is enabled ] [14:16]
Babarno, pootle can be configured both ways [14:16]
MichaelDaum... which is xcellent news
so does my patch make sense?
[14:16]
CDotNot without documentation, no. [14:17]
MichaelDaumshsh CDot [14:17]
CDotCDot is trying to maintain reasonable standards here. If we accept toss-it-over-the-wall, we open the floodgates to all sorts of shit.
and we have more than enough shit already
[14:18]
MichaelDaumlike using the shit word too much. thats shit. man. [14:19]
CDotCDot is working with Rails again, and is fuming mad frustrated screaming at the lack of doc, inaccuracy of what is there, and a bunch of other things. [14:19]
MichaelDaumall your fault [14:19]
CDotindeed, you are right. Direct action is needed. I should buy a gun, and kill anyone who doesn't document their work. [14:20]
MichaelDaumBabar, I wished we wouldnt require pootle.
CDot, does that solve your problems?
[14:20]
CDotno, but it would make me feel better, and maybe save the next generation. [14:21]
MichaelDaumCDot, you are def out of flow [14:22]
Babargreat... checking the logs to see where I was cut :)) [14:22]
***ChanServ sets mode: +o Babar [14:22]
BabarMichaelDaum: why not require pootle?!
I don't understand your point
[14:23]
MichaelDaumMichaelDaum never tried it [14:23]
Babarwe're not requiring pootle to translate anything
you can still translate in svn, and pootle should see your changes
[14:23]
MichaelDaumI tend to use stuff like msgmerge, xgettext and vi [14:24]
Babaroh, and what got cut when I lost my v6 connection.. I was saying...
but I think this got once again stopped between doing the right thing and making it work with what we have for now
and if you ask me, the right thing should be to move what we now have in locale/??.po into locale/core/??.po, and then everything should be happy
[14:24]
MichaelDaumwhy have another subdirectory core under locale?
makes upgrading harder
[14:25]
Babaranyway, documenting this is simply a matter of hacking the default plugin docco to let them know they can translate their plugin by creating a locale/ dir, etc... :)
upgrading harder? How come?
[14:26]
MichaelDaumimho the core po files can rest where they are [14:27]
Babar'k [14:27]
MichaelDaumor asked the other way around: what does moving them to a core/ subdirectory buy us?
nothing afaics
[14:27]
BabarMichaelDaum: one line in your patched code? And it's cleaner, as everything is at the same level, core being just one module among others [14:29]
MichaelDaumhm
for upgraders it means delete files left over from the prev install where po files were at a different location. then changes to f.o's pootle setup.
the only other real *need* for code ... besides docu ... is in tools/xgettext: make it plugin aware
[14:29]
MichaelLorenzenI reported a error earlier about WorkFlowPlugin: The cause was a missing "|" at the end of my WORKFLOWHISTORYFORMAT preference [14:31]
Babaryeah, but upgraders don't *have to* delete those files
they won't be used
[14:31]
MichaelLorenzenit looked like this: WORKFLOWHISTORYFORMAT = | $state | $wikiusername | $date | $n [14:31]
MichaelDaumI've got a forked one xgettext-plugin that creates a locale/<plugin>/Foswiki.pot file ... [14:31]
MichaelLorenzenI think, the new code in the plugin (wrt http://foswiki.org/Tasks/Item8002) got a hickup on this. [14:31]
MichaelDaumand then a way to bootstrap languages from existing po files by means of msgmerge [14:32]
Babardoesn't xgettext already merge the files? [14:33]
MichaelDaumno it just creates an empty pot [14:33]
Babaralso, I was wondering... what happens if a plugin defines a string that's also in core?
which one wins?
[14:33]
MichaelDaumthe last lexion loaded wins
which is bad
however maybe not: it lets you plugin "better" translations
it would be cool if xgettext could (1) create a the pot template, then (2) create language.po files and (3) seed it what is already there in the core translations and finally (4) fix the translation header to reflext the plugin's copyright and authorship
^reflext^reflect
[14:33]
Babarmake a task, I might make this happen :)
for now, seeing how easy it is to add plugin support
would running xgettext from a plugin directory, instead of core, be enough for you?
sorry, instead of root
[14:36]
CDotMichaelLorenzen: report it, and raise it for Gilmar's attention (unless you are confident to fix it yourself) [14:37]
Babaror maybe more explicit... running: xgettext SolrPlugin [14:37]
***Babar sets mode: +oooo ArthurClemens Colas ColasHome CDot
Babar sets mode: +oooo gmc LarsEik Lynnwood padraig_lennon
Babar sets mode: +oo SvenDowideit terceiro
Babar sets mode: +v FoswikiBot
[14:38]
Babarterceiro: I sent you a pull request :) [14:38]
MichaelDaumBabar, how do we proceed with http://foswiki.org/Development/Enhancei18nArchitecture ?
before doing any coding we need to get this proposal to an accepted state
[14:41]
Babarah no, my initial proposal, according to http://foswiki.org/Development/Enhancei18nArchitecture?rev=1 was swapping the language and the plugin
but I think I prefer your idea :)
[14:44]
MichaelLorenzencdot: reported it just 5 minutes before i found the cause (item11419) [14:46]
BabarMicha: editing the proposal... [14:47]
ArthurClemenstools dir is getting quite a mess [14:49]
Babarwas a mess a long time ago :)
and great... the first 2 columns in the proposal were swapped :)
[14:51]
MichaelDaumBabar, some docu of what I did at http://foswiki.org/Tasks/Item9697 [14:56]
terceiroBabar: I saw :)
do you want to adopt that project? I am not using awesome anymore ...
[14:59]
CDotyikes, you are right. tools dir needs some serious TLC
CDot doubts that tools like "plugins_conformance_analyser.pl" even work any more
[15:00]
MichaelDaumMichaelDaum likes some drawers to swallow all the messy bits getting them out of the way [15:01]
Babarterceiro: what are you using then?! [15:01]
terceiroBabar: gnome 3 [15:01]
CDotMichaelDaum: just cover the messy bits with bits of paper.... documentation >:-) [15:01]
Babarand to be honest terceiro, I found out about your github repo just because some other user mentionned it on irc :) [15:01]
MichaelDaumCDot, more like "where does these screws belong to? ... who cares ... open drawer ... toss ... close drawer ... back to essentials ;) [15:02]
terceiroBabar: yeah, people actually use that; it's a shame not having a proper maintainer
my plans were to get that integrated upstream in awesome, but ... never managed to do that
[15:02]
BabarMichaelDaum: updating the proposal (and going for a small break)
terceiro: sure then, I'll gladly take it over
[15:03]
terceiroBabar: nice, just added you as a collaborator in the repo
you can do whatever you want :)
[15:04]
MichaelDaumBabar, why differ files being in svn and being installed having them in two different locations
fixing #4
[15:05]
terceiroBabar: including merging in your own pull request ;-)
thanks for adopting
[15:06]
padraig_lennonMichaelDaum - textboxlist - when it loads the list data does it keep the list in memory? Just wondering.. e.g. I have a textboxlist which I want to add a number of servers. each time I add a new one it has to perform the search again. Could it be cached in some manner for speed? [15:17]
MichaelDaumpadraig_lennon, yes.
though I had to backport it to jquery-ui.autocomplete
[15:17]
padraig_lennonSo it does not do it by default? [15:18]
MichaelDaumsee core/pub/System/JQueryPlugin/ui/jquery.ui.autocomplete.init.uncompressed.js
it should actually .... as textboxlist is using jquery.ui.autocomplete
maybe I missed that one
[15:18]
padraig_lennonI added some custom searches to create some lists that i could use for textboxlists its very slow though the one for adding users to groups is quite quick.. Is there something I need to add to speed it up?
Here is an example of one of them.. http://pastebin.com/riY9pxqe
[15:20]
MichaelDaumthere are a few options to get around %SEARCH'es slowness
one idea to get good speed inprovements is to try AutoAttachContentPlugin (or what was it called?) to cache the full json object periodically
and then use some frontend to just extract those parts from the json that match the current autocomplete prefix
[15:24]
SvenDowideitMichaelDaum, yup
thats one thing i'd like to do wrt guest requests
to make them non=perl ops
that way we could have read only dynamics that works super fast for all the search bots
i started to explore the idea with wards wiki, but thankfully got re-focussed on store2 by the foswikicamp :)
[15:25]
padraig_lennonMichaelDaum - Is there an example anywhere I could read? [15:27]
MichaelDaumpadraig_lennon, have a look at PersonalInfoAddOn. that's where I've seen this trick
there once was a colorchoser for skins generating css that way ... not sure where that one got lost.
[15:27]
SvenDowideitone basic thing might be to define a GET rest-uri structure to request a rendered version of a macro call, and then to cache that as files that can have apache rewrites based on user
what i'm missing is a way for apache to know that the user is not logged in :(
ie, allowing apache to know about templateauth sessions
[15:28]
padraig_lennonok.. Will do.. Search has seriously slowed down since I upgraded to 1.1.4.. (using just CGI... Most heavy search pages just time out with fastcgi) Will keep digging.. Thanks [15:28]
SvenDowideitwe need to go benchmark that :( [15:29]
MichaelDaumapache knowning the session user...yep. maybe using a FoswikiLite.pm only reading the cgi_session. [15:29]
SvenDowideitmaybe - though i really want to avoid perl at all :/ [15:30]
MichaelDaumdid that quick and dirty for ejabberd to log in users to chat rooms automatically as soon as they log in to foswiki [15:30]
SvenDowideitya - i did that for a node.js app i did that was linked to foswiki users too
should github that too
[15:30]
MichaelDaumproblem I can across was something as boring as file perms of those cgi_session files.
they are created user readable only...so no chance for other daemons to read them other than botch the core to make cgi_sessions group readable by default
... or store them in a proper db ... not sure what that implies wrt performance though
[15:31]
tsnfooMichaelDaum: what's the currently recommended version of SolrPlugin? Exitension Web, Trunk, or your Github fork? What's packaged on fw.o seems a little old. [15:42]
SvenDowideitmeh MichaelDaum we're dumb :)
we use CGI::Session::File...
[15:43]
MichaelDaumtsnfoo, svn/trunk and apache-solr-3.5.0 [15:43]
SvenDowideitwhen we can cfg it to use memcached or whatever [15:43]
MichaelDaumSvenDowideit, ya. and this is not pluggable :( [15:43]
SvenDowideitit isn't?
i thought it was - oh well, pretty simple fix&feature
[15:44]
tsnfooMichaelDaum: thanks! I'll nab that and try it. [15:44]
SvenDowideitplack. [15:45]
MichaelDaumyumyum [15:45]
SvenDowideitSvenDowideit virtual pokes Andrew
and goes hide
1am and the girls work up an hour ago
[15:45]
MichaelDaumSvenDowideit, what's the state of your debian repo?
how often is it updated?
what do you plan to do with it long term?
how about moving it to foswiki.org and make it official?
[15:47]
SvenDowideitits updated once per day
by script
moving to f.o is hard - as f.o is ... not debian
plan sees me adding a yum rpm repo this year (it seems)
[15:48]
MichaelDaumis foswiki-1.1.4 already in the repo? [15:49]
SvenDowideitno
i don't update core until its had more testing
and as there's a report of a really nasty search slowdown
i'd prefer to see that found first
basically, i have some pretty conservative users running the debs, so try to keep it as stable as possible
[15:50]
MichaelDaumy [15:51]
SvenDowideiti plan to make a foswiki-latest and a foswiki-dev pkg some time tho to help us bleeders
but that needs time/money :/
[15:51]
MichaelDaumhave you ever looked at ubuntu lauchpad? lots of people up there.
launchpad that is
not laughpad
[15:52]
SvenDowideity, lots, but ubuntu is shite at perl module support [15:52]
MichaelDaumtrue [15:53]
SvenDowideitubuntu _remove_ perl debs [15:53]
MichaelDaumcpan2deb there to rescue [15:53]
SvenDowideitso i target debian, and if ubuntu works, thats just a happy co-incidence
y - need to start building non-foswiki debs - one day :)
[15:53]
MichaelDaumokay so next action on that thing is wait for 1.1.5? [15:54]
SvenDowideitnope
next action is to find out what the search regression is
[15:54]
MichaelDaumsnap [15:55]
SvenDowideitif its major, a patch, but knowing is what matters [15:55]
MichaelDaumof course [15:55]
SvenDowideitargh. mythbutu boots to ash, not functioning :(
bbl
[15:55]
........ (idle for 37mn)
GithubBot[foswiki] foswiki pushed 1 new commit to master: http://git.io/q_UOkw
[foswiki/master] Item10776:Item2485:Item2479: - MichaelDaum
[16:32]
***GithubBot has left [16:32]
FoswikiBothttp://foswiki.org/Tasks/Item10776 [ Item10776: Add new option 'thumbfile' to format specification ] http://foswiki.org/Tasks/Item2485 [ Item2485: longdesc requires an uri ] http://foswiki.org/Tasks/Item2479 [ Item2479: size in ImagePlugin not handeled properly as geometry info ] [16:32]
GithubBot[foswiki] foswiki pushed 1 new commit to master: http://git.io/V5QHkA
[foswiki/master] Item10186: - MichaelDaum
[16:45]
***GithubBot has left [16:45]
FoswikiBothttp://foswiki.org/Tasks/Item10186 [ Item10186: new NatSkin ] [16:45]
.... (idle for 16mn)
GithubBot[foswiki] foswiki pushed 1 new commit to master: http://git.io/NDqecA
[foswiki/master] Item10186: - MichaelDaum
[17:01]
***GithubBot has left [17:01]
GithubBot[foswiki] foswiki pushed 1 new commit to master: http://git.io/vAfJpw
[foswiki/master] Item11420: let's have Sebastian Senf's farscroll library on foswiki. see https://github.com/mustardamus/farscroll-plugin - MichaelDaum
[17:15]
***GithubBot has left [17:15]
FoswikiBothttp://foswiki.org/Tasks/Item11420 [ Item11420: initial release ] [17:15]
.... (idle for 15mn)
GithubBot[foswiki] foswiki pushed 1 new commit to master: http://git.io/ObKEQA
[foswiki/master] Item11420: propediting - MichaelDaum
[17:30]
***GithubBot has left [17:30]
padraig_lennonAnyone know what CSS elements need to be overwritten to overwrite table colours? It used to work with http://pastebin.com/Y8rqsyap until 1.1.4.. [17:31]
Re above.. Found them in Configure->TablePlugin->DefaultAttributes - Have no idea why the would need to be defined there.. [17:40]
SvenDowideitpadraig_lennon, due to mumble mumble mumble :) [17:45]
padraig_lennonmumble=? [17:45]
SvenDowideiti can't recal the exact reason - arthur might recal
i'd like them to be in tmpl files, but i'm not sure if that too had problems
SvenDowideit gone
[17:45]
padraig_lennonJust looking back through the logs here... Actually it might be easier to set them there... [17:46]
Babarpadraig_lennon: for site-wide definitions? 'cause you know you can modify the table colors using TablePlugin, right? :) [17:52]
padraig_lennonYa I know that.. Its the site wide I want..
Later.. Have to head..
[17:53]
............... (idle for 1h12mn)
Plazmathere's an easy way to show whawt %PUBURLPATH$ is?
is there i guess :P
i was assuming it's /var/www/foswiki.../pub
[19:06]
for some reason my css sheet isn't being used http://ideone.com/XdXzw is what i have for the foswiki stuff [19:18]
SvenDowideityes - just put it in a topic
er - with % at the end tho
its URL - so not /var/www
it should be /foswiki/pub
[19:27]
........... (idle for 54mn)
Plazmahmm.. mydomain/pub seems to give me a 403
or a Forbidden
[20:21]
***ChanServ sets mode: +o OliverKrueger [20:24]
Plazmaos permissions seem good
i've got http://ideone.com/XdXzw
[20:27]
OliverKruegerFollowSymLinks? [20:37]
Plazmahuh? [20:37]
OliverKruegerPermissions set in your webserver config? [20:38]
Plazmai do have a symlink for /var/www/foswiki .. permis are 775 on /var/www/foswiki/pub [20:38]
OliverKruegerDo you use Apache? [20:38]
Plazmayup [20:38]
OliverKruegerMay I have a look at your config? [20:39]
Plazmawhich config? what piece in particular? [20:39]
OliverKruegerdepends on how you configured your apache. [20:39]
Plazmait's pretty much standard/default [20:39]
OliverKruegerThe part you inserted for foswiki. [20:39]
Plazmai didn't muck too much in there other than change the port it was listening on
oh hmm
i have no clue what i put in.. i did it a long time ago
[20:40]
OliverKruegerI guess, following symlinks is not default.
Do you have an extra config file for foswiki in /etc/apache/sites-enabled or the like?
(depending on the OS, distribution etc)
[20:40]
Plazmait's rhel .. so han gon [20:41]
OliverKruegerdunno the file s
file system structure of rhel. :(
[20:41]
Plazmai remember doing something as per the docs in foswiki but it was pretty trivial
i don't think it was in the apache config directly
[20:42]
OliverKruegernormally the apache config is split up into many files.
cd /etc && grep -ri "foswiki"
;)
[20:42]
Plazmawhat exactly am i looking for [20:46]
OliverKrueger<Location .../pub>
There should be an "Option" line in that container.
[20:47]
Plazmaahh yea i found the foswiki config
part
[20:47]
OliverKruegerDo you see the line? [20:49]
Plazma: Found it? [20:56]
***ChanServ sets mode: +o OliverKrueger [20:58]
............... (idle for 1h11mn)
PlazmaOliverKrueger: sorry i got taken away, what am i looking for
OliverKrueger: http://ideone.com/cDJu3
[22:09]
BabarPlazma: why is everything duplicated? [22:12]
OliverKruegerPlazma: 112 maybe your problem, if /pub on your disk is symlinked.
Combine 111 and 112 to: Options +FollowSymLinks
[22:12]
***OliverKrueger sets mode: +o ArthurClemens [22:13]
PlazmaBabar: i think it pasted wrong [22:23]
Babar'k. do as Oliver said :) [22:27]
OliverKruegerand restart/load apache [22:28]
Plazmasec
thx
no go :(
still giving me Forbidden on domain.com/pub
[22:35]
OliverKruegerWhats in the logs?
apache logs.
[22:39]
Plazmagood question :) [22:39]
OliverKruegeralways the first question. ;) [22:39]
Plazma192.168.255.31 - - [09/Jan/2012:15:30:14 -0700] "GET /pub/ HTTP/1.1" 403 298 "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.
1; rv:8.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/8.0"
hmm
[Mon Jan 09 15:30:38 2012] [error] [client 192.168.255.31] Directory index forbidden by Options directive: /
var/www/foswiki/pub/
OliverKrueger: i did what you said, and had Options +FollowSymLinks too
[22:40]
OliverKruegerYou have to test a certain file and not a directory. [22:42]
Plazmaoh duh
well i can access it, but it doesn't seem to like my stylesheet
or i have no way of knowing if it's acutally imported or not with ADDTOZONE
[22:42]
OliverKruegeryou can look into the html source (press ctrl-u)
and look into apaches access-log, to see, if its actually requested.
[22:45]
***OliverKrueger sets mode: +o pharvey [22:46]
Plazmawell it looks like it's being imported in HEAD
but it's just not working.. hmm
[22:52]
OliverKruegerIs it not loaded at all? [22:53]
Plazmawell it shows it in the HTML code [22:53]
OliverKruegerit should be fetched in a subsequent request then.
You should see that request in access.log.
[22:53]
PlazmaI see it being imported into <head> and i see the request in access_log for the page i'm trying to use the stylesheet for
ill have to play more with it later.. running out of time now.. thanks all
[23:02]
OliverKruegercaching may be another aspect. [23:03]
.... (idle for 19mn)
gac410Hey Babar - I've added the global htpasswd cache - unit tests pass, but ~I'm uneasy~ ... Something feels wrong about it. Don't want to commit to trunk since that's live. Pastebin? Or do you have advice on how to start with github for the gitsvn based developer?
I'm on cellphone data again, so bandwidth limited. :-(
[23:22]
nick_Hi, is the Form info page out of date?
I'm having some problems setting Attributes.
On there it says I can use H and M.
Which don't seem to be working for me, so I had a search and some of the system forms use S, which the info page didn't mention.
What does the S mean?
[23:26]
gac410so far the only thing I seen in the code are M and H - Mandatory and Hidden. [23:31]
Babargac410: pastebin, I'll check tomorrow [23:32]
gac410okay - thanks. I'll paste a link later. [23:32]
nick_System/DefaultPreferencesForm uses S
Anyway, I can't seem to get any of the attributes working.
H is meant to mean that you don't get the entry in the form section of the bottom of the page, right?
I mean when you are viewing a page.
[23:37]
gac410I believe so, yes, hidden fields should not be shown. [23:41]
nick_I tried both H and M but neither seemed to work.
I can't work out why.
[23:42]
gac410Looks that way - I tried adding H to one of the UserForm attributes - but it still shows. On the trunk version anyway. [23:44]
nick_Even after trying to edit the page to make the new version work? [23:45]
pharveygac410: that might be because it's using a ViewTemplate that explicitly shows user fields
for UserForm, I mean
[23:46]
gac410Ah - hm. And customization instructions says to just create a UserForm in Main - but the topics still reference System.UserForm
gac410 is not all that well versed on forms.
[23:47]
pharveyyikes. [23:47]
nick_Would anyone be able to take a look at my form and see if I'm doing something stupid? [23:47]
gac410on trunk anyway - can't commit back my changes - middle of other stuff. [23:48]
pharveynick_, sure just use pastebin or friends [23:48]
nick_http://pastebin.com/7jdYazPz
It's a form for a beer recipe :)
[23:49]
pharveycool :) [23:51]
nick_I'd like to hide the form and have the page render the info in a less ugly way.
But keep the info in the form so I can do searches, etc.
[23:51]
gac410Hm. Worked for me. Copied System.UserForm to Main.UserForm. Updated Main.WebPreferences to enable Main.UserForm, then edited User, and selected the new form - and profession disappeared from the view.
oh - and added H to Profession attribute in Main.UserForm forgot that step :-)
[23:51]
pharveynick_: the column titled 'attributes' is actually the 'tooltip' column; you need to insert an extra column there (attributes column is column 6, not 5) [23:51]
nick_Oh, the column numbering counts?
It doesn't read the column heading?
[23:52]
pharveyyeah, lame I know
I've been itching to fix the whole dataform-definition situation, but everything else seems to always be more urgent
[23:52]
nick_I think maybe the wording on System/DataForms could be improved then. [23:53]
SvenDowideit'S' means setting for PreferenecesPlugin, but by god thats a crufty pos [23:53]
nick_Because when it says:
The Name, Type and Size columns are required. Other columns are optional.
That made me think that I could ditch the tooltip column but keep the attributes one
[23:53]
pharveygood point. could you raise a task with some proposed wording? [23:53]
nick_I'll put it on my to do list for tomorrow as I'm about to go to bed. [23:54]
SvenDowideitgone to library :) [23:54]
pharveycool [23:54]
gac410SvenDowideit: What ever happened to the DocumentationGroup that would be able to edit System [23:54]
nick_It also makes it weird that you need the header for the columns, even though they aren't used. [23:55]
gac410I was looking at it - figure need to create a shadow "System" web that is a checkout from Release11, and then have a shell script copy modified topics from System to System-Checkout, and commit -a er... or whatever the heck the svn command is - don't remember any more. [23:55]
nick_Although I can confirm that the missing column was in fact the problem, I added an extra one and now H and M both work. [23:56]
gac410probably say something like all columns up through the last desired column must be supplied. Ex. To supply attributes, the tooltip column must also be supplied. (or whatever the columns are). [23:58]
nick_Is there a simple way to access the data in a form from the topic it is attached to, rather than doing a search? [23:58]
gac410%QUERY ?
Foswiki:System.VarQUERY
[23:59]
FoswikiBothttp://foswiki.org/System.VarQUERY [ VarQUERY ] [23:59]

↑back Search ←Prev date Next date→ Show only urls(Click on time to select a line by its url)